Monday, July 7, 2014

Day Trip

Yesterday we went to Boston's Museum of Fine Arts to see the Quilts and Color: The Pilgrim/Roy Collection.  I'd seen some of this collection at quilt shows, but it was so interesting to see it in a museum setting with informational plaques.  Color selection and use has to be one of the hardest parts of quilt making.

While I love to look at all the different styles, my favorites are always the pieced quilts - especially the various types of Irish Chains.  Non-flash photos were allowed, so I snapped a couple cell phone pictures.

Here's a quilt I might actually make....in different colors (according to what I read, I'm not the only one who's not an orange fan).


And this one was interesting for its optical illusion effect (with a close up for one individual block).



And while nothing could ever convince me to attempt hand-piecing a bazillion hexagons, I loved the various geometric shapes formed just through the use of color.  And using that as covering for the elevators was really fun (I should have gone closer to see just how they did that).




Finally, no trip to the MFA is complete without seeing the gigantic Chihuly glass tower in the Shapiro family courtyard.

No comments: