Saturday, September 19, 2009

Finish AND Frog

With the arrival of cooler weather, I decided I needed some more fingerless gloves. My office just might be too chilly for comfortable typing this winter. [That sounded like a good excuse -- I don't know what it is about fingerless gloves, but I do love them.] I saw Turtlegirl's Knucks, so decided to give them a try -- in the recommended Rowan Felted Tweed (it's very unusual for me to use the suggested yarn in any pattern, but I decided to treat myself). I do like the way they came out. I used the pattern as written, except for the cuff which is a k1tbl, p1 ribbing two inches long (a little longer than called for).

I also learned that what I was using as my standard long tail cast on (and have used for 40+ years) is really the twisted german cast on. I really should watch more online knitting videos to find out what else I've assumed incorrectly.

But for every good finish, there's a frog or two -- at least in my experience. This was to be a cute baby sweater. And the pattern is cute. Two problems though....... 1) When I joined the second ball of yarn for the sleeves I realized it was a different dye lot (these are leftovers from a previous project). Yikes -- super noticeable. 2) This looks way too small for a sweater-wearing baby.....do tiny babies wear rather bulky sweaters? I doubt it. So rip, rip, rip. Another project bites the dust.

In the spirit of charity knitting, I did cast on another baby sweater.

No comments: