Sunday, July 10, 2011

Foxfire Fibers Knit-A-Long

Foxfire Fibers Sheep Shares sponsored its first knit-a-long for the spring yarn shares. The simple "rules" were that you had to use their Flock Sock yarn (or fiber) and the project had to be started/finished between 29 May and 10 Jul 2011.

You might remember that this year, I'm getting the fiber shares, but I knew that my spinning was neither fast enough nor good enough for the KAL, so it was off to the MA Sheep and Wool Festival it to get some Flock Sock yarn.

After extensive deliberation, I settled on Kitman Figueroa's Peacock Shawl, made slightly larger than the pattern called for. Of course, that was after I bought the yarn -- so I didn't have enough of the Granny Smith color..... That meant I had to tweak the pattern a bit to stripe the top portion (fortunately, I'd gotten a skein of natural), only to tweak it a bit more when I realized I didn't like the look of stripes in reverse stockinette -- so that became garter stitch. But with the motivation and encouragement of the KAL, the shawl was finished - and within the allotted time.

The yarn is very squooshy -- with lots of oomph. And don't you love the way the pin from the Strolling of the Lambs makes a perfect shawl pin?

No comments: