Thursday, May 28, 2015

Sew-jo

I've been looking at patterns and trying to get my sewing mojo (sew-jo) back. I need some new tops and pants.  But I wanted to start small.  And what could be much smaller than a baby bonnet?

I saw this blog post -- and how could I resist (ignoring the fact that I really don't know any babies.....but that's a mere detail)?  The pattern is here

For my prototype I used stash cotton and made the 3-6 month size.  I pressed all the seams in opposite directions (outer shell one way, lining the other) and top stitched all around.  There's a lot of bulk where the folds go....so those are a bit bigger than 1/4 inch.

For the next iteration, I'll cut the center hat on the crosswise grain to give it a little stretch to better ease the side pieces in.  I also found that using a piece of paper made topstitching the ties a lot easier....and it just pulled right off.


But all in all.....it's really cute.


No comments: